DENTAL CROWNS AN OVERVIEW
Dental crowns are a versatile treatment that can enhance the health, function, and appearance of your smile. If you have weak, damaged, or broken teeth, a dental crown can restore optimal function to your teeth.
Traditionally, crowns were made of gold or metal, but today’s crowns are made of dental porcelain. Dental porcelain comes in a wide range of shades and resembles the tooth enamel, making it the ideal material to restore your smile. With porcelain crowns, only you and your dentist will know it’s a crown.
Dental crowns are customized to meet your unique needs. Restorative dentist Dr. Mark Jefferies works with you to create natural looking, long lasting dental crowns that blend seamlessly with your existing teeth. As an experienced restorative dentist in Herndon, VA, Dr. Jefferies offers unmatched patient care and high-quality restorations to improve the function and health of your smile.
WHO SHOULD CONSIDER A DENTAL CROWN?
During your visit, Dr. Jefferies will listen to your dental concerns, evaluate your teeth, and explore your treatment options. Patients may need a dental crown for a variety of reasons. Crowns can be used to address multiple types of general, restorative, and cosmetic dental concerns.
A crown aims to protect and reinforce a badly damaged tooth. For instance, a crown can be used to:
- Stabilize a tooth after a root canal
- Act as a prosthetic tooth for a dental implant
- To support a dental bridge
- To prevent further damage to a weak or decayed tooth
- To restore a broken or fractured tooth
INLAYS AND ONLAYS
When a tooth is damaged, but not damaged enough to receive a dental crown, we may recommend an inlay or onlay. Also known as partial crowns, inlays and onlays are stronger than a traditional dental filling but not quite as strong a full dental crown. They are often used on the molars and offer a durable, long lasting solution to many dental concerns.
- Inlays: Inlays can be used to cover larger areas of damage than a traditional dental filling. A dental inlay can strengthen the tooth and help prevent future decay. Unlike a traditional filling, an inlay is designed as a single piece to fit exactly over the area of damage.
- Onlays: Onlays are used to restore the cusp (biting surface) of a damaged tooth. If it is not necessary to replace the entire crown of the tooth with a dental crown, we may recommend a dental onlay. An only can restore function to a damaged tooth and allow you to chew without pain or discomfort. Like an inlay, the onlay is designed in a single piece of ceramic or porcelain to fit precisely over the area of damage.
DENTAL CROWNS WHAT TO EXPECT
Receiving dental crowns will require at least two visits to our Herndon, VA dentist office. During your first visit, Dr. Jefferies will prepare the tooth and take impressions. The impressions are sent to a dental lab for the fabrication of your custom dental crown.
While you wait for your dental crown, we will place a temporary crown to protect your tooth and restore normal chewing function. At your next visit, the temporary crown is removed, and your permanent crown is permanently bonded to your teeth. If necessary, we will make any adjustments to your tooth to ensure a comfortable bite and a beautiful, natural looking result.