PERIODONTAL THERAPY AN OVERVIEW
Let our dentist in Herndon VA improve your gum health.
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is one of the leading cause of adult tooth loss. In many cases, gum disease is preventable! Regular screenings and routine visits to your dentist in Herndon can help reduce your risk of gum disease and increase your chance of keeping your permanent teeth in excellent condition.
Gum disease occurs when the bacteria in plaque infects the gum tissue. Plaque build-up is typically caused by poor brushing and flossing habits. As gum disease progresses, it can lead to inflammation, bleeding gums, and even tooth loss.
Taking the proper steps to keep your teeth and gums healthy can benefit your dental and overall health in the long run. Herndon, VA restorative dentist Dr. Mark Jefferies can help you fund ways to improve and maintain your gum health. In the case that you are diagnosed with gum disease, we offer a full range of periodontal therapy treatments to restore health to your gums.
During your consultation, Dr. Jefferies can assess the condition of your gums and teeth to build a personalized periodontal therapy treatment plan just for you.
KNOW YOUR RISK FOR GUM DISEASE
Any patient, at any age, can develop gum disease. It is important to understand your risk factors and find ways to lower them. During your appointment, Dr. Jefferies can work with you to asses your risks and develop a preventive plan that is tailored to your specific needs. If you notice any changes to your gums or overall dental health, be sure to visit our Herndon dentist office.
Risk Factors For Gum Disease:
- A family history of gum disease
- Smoking or tobacco use
- Poor diet and nutrition
- Poor oral hygiene
- Certain types of systemic diseases
- Grinding or clenching your teeth
PERIODONTAL THERAPY WHAT TO EXPECT
HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE GUM DISEASE?
If you suspect you have gum disease, you may want to schedule an appointment with our dental office. Dr. Jefferies can evaluate your teeth, gums, and bone structure to determine if you have developed gum disease.
Common Signs Of Gum Disease:
- Red or swollen gums
- Persistent bad breath
- Bleeding gums
- Painful or uncomfortable chewing
- Tender or irritated gums
- Painful chewing
- Tooth sensitivity
- A receding gum line
The presence of any of these symptoms may be an indication of gum disease. It is crucial to treat gum disease promptly to reduce the risk of additional complications, such as tooth loss and bone loss.
HOW IS GUM DISEASE TREATED?
The main goals of gum disease treatment are to stop the infection, address the damage, and prevent re-infection. The type of treatment for gum disease will vary and are dependent on the stage of the infection and the extent of damage to the teeth, gums, and bone structure.
Dr. Jefferies will assess the condition of your teeth and gums and discuss the results with you. He will explore your treatment options with you and recommend the best form of treatment to restore health to your gums.
- Scaling and Root Planing: This deep cleaning method is designed to remove plaque from above and below the gum line.
- Antibacterial Rinse: In the earliest stage of gum disease, also called gingivitis, we may prescribe an antibacterial rinse to help control the infection.
- Gum Surgery: In advanced stages of gum disease, we may recommend gum surgery to restore health and function to your gum tissue.
- Laser Dentistry: Dental lasers have made it more convenient for patients to receive treatment for gum disease. With dental lasers, we can effectively remove diseased gum tissue, minimize bleeding, and promote the body’s natural healing response.